Valentine’s Day comes around every February, often met with mixed reviews. Many people don’t want to celebrate, either from a lack of excitement or a lack of partner. Meghan Markle, who is now celebrating Valentine’s Day with her own literal Prince Charming, always had a positive outlook on the day (just like everything else – we love her positive vibes!)
On celebrating yourself: ‘I think you need to cook that beautiful dinner even when it’s just you, wear your favorite outfit, buy yourself some flowers, and celebrate the self love that often gets muddled when we focus on what we don’t have. ‘
On being single: ‘Love yourself, treat yourself, honor yourself and celebrate you. Be your own beautiful, darling, cherished and funny Valentine. You deserve it’.
On gifts: ‘In terms of gifts, be it breakfast in bed, a sweet love note, or a single flower… it really is the thought that counts.’
On loving you: ‘So whether you have a special someone, you’ll be with friends, or you’ll be flying solo this Valentine’s Day (or any other day for that matter), be good to yourself.”
Five Tips for a Meghan Markle-Inspired Valentine’s Day:
1. Pamper with peonies.Meghan’s favorite flowers are famously peonies, the springtime blooms that clutter your Instagram feed with an endless scroll of fluffy white petals. You can often find forced-bloomed peonies at specialty florist shops – or even at Whole Foods! – around the 14th of February.
2. A Foodie Feast. Whether it is a roast chicken dinner at home, or a fabulous dining experience out on the town, make sure the food is delicious. Indulge in the finest ingredients, get adventurous with a unique dish, and have fun with the flavors that you bring to the table.
3. Bring on the red (wine). It’s not a Tig-inspired holiday without some Tignanello. Any fine, full-bodied red will do, but you definitely need some wine to toast your loved ones.
4. Smooch the pooch. Celebrate your fluffy fur balls! Don’t forget the heart-shaped dog treats, pink cat toys, or extra special fish flakes. Making others happy – even if they have four legs (or fins, or beaks) – is contagious, and you’ll be twice as happy.
5. Love the one you’re with. It may be your mom, your BFF, your dog, or your boyfriend – either way, embrace the day and share the love. Send a text to someone you care about, slip an old-school Valentine’s Day card in your neighbor’s mailbox, and enjoy this special day however you can.
Get the Look:
Looking for some Valentine’s Day-inspired fashion ideas? Check out all the V-Day worthy looks, as seen on Meghan Markle!
Topshop Pink Sunday Pink SkirtShop
Stuart Weitzman “Leigh” 105mm PumpsBuy product
Smith Optics Bridgetown SunglassesShop
Sentaler Red Wide-Collar Wrap CoatBuy product
Self-Portrait Red Embroidered Midi DressShop
Kate Spade Byrdie CrossbodyShop
Isa Tapia Red “Shelby” HeelsBuy product
Goat Fashion Flavia DressShop
Figue ‘Frederica’ Printed Ruffle DressShop
Essie Ballet Slippers Nail PolishShop
Cynthia Rowley Valentine Creamy Lip StainBuy product
Club Monaco ‘Sallyet’ DressShop