We’re so excited that it’s May. The Royal Wedding is right around the corner, the flowers are starting to bloom and the warmer weather appears to be peeking out for us to enjoy. We weren’t surprised when we discovered that Meghan Markle was a big fan of the month of May even before she was scheduled to marry her Prince Charming. Meghan shared that she was a big fan of Cinco de Mayo – one unofficial kickoff to summer in our books – on the Tig long before the site was shut down. We thought we’d look back at Meghan’s love of Cinco de Mayo (and guacamole) with a look at her stylish beach vacation in Tulum.
Where did all this information come from? From Meghan herself! With the Tig having shut down, we were saddened that several years of archives – including amazing tips from Meghan herself on her fashion & beauty choices – would be lost to the depths of the internet. We were able to track down the archives and today we’re sharing them with you in today’s instalment of the Meghan’s Mirror Tig Throwback Thursdays series.
We thought we’d look back not only at Meghan’s love of the delicious Mexican recipes for Cinco de Mayo, but at her summer/beach style by sharing several of the photos she shared from vacations in Mexico where she revelled in these dishes. If Meghan’s vacation snaps of warm sunny weather and exquisite beach style don’t get you excited for the coming summer months, we don’t know what will.
Back in 2016, Meghan went on a trip to Tulum, Mexico and shared several of the photos on her Instagram account. Doesn’t it look heavenly? Meghan stayed at the Coqui Coqui Hotel, sharing her thoughts on the hotel.
“White-washed in linens and natural fibers, this stunning boutique hotel and minimal beachfront retreat is surrounded by palm fronds and bougainvillea—a perfect gem to nestle into for your Tulum vacation. Stay in room six or seven for an oceanfront view, and order cocktails on your private patio. Try the mixed ceviche and a ‘refreshing water’ (blended with cucumber, mint, and chlorophyll), and enjoy it as you lounge on a sunbed and watch the Caribbean sea lap at your feet. I was quite the happy camper here.”
What we most love is that even when on beach vacation, Meghan’s style is the same that we have come to know and love. Cue the distressed denim shorts, the breezy white coverups and tops, the always present sunglasses, the fun bikinis and the essential panama hats. Meghan’s beach choices are also the star feature of her Tulum fashion recommendations of where to shop, including a shop called Hacienda Montaecristo sharing:
“This is a new addition to the very stylish shopping strip in Tulum. Think linen wrap dresses, leather sandals, Panama hats, and sarongs, all in a neutral palette that you can transition easily into your wardrobe at home and not just as chic beach attire.”
Here are some of Meghan Markle’s exact summer beach pieces we’ve been able to identify:
And since Meghan is known for her love of food, we thought we’d also share two of her Cinco de Mayo recipes from the Tig. One for a delicious margarita, and one for the perfect fish taco… Dishes we’re sure she enjoyed at the beach in Mexico!
So, without further ado… Here are some delicious ways you can be inspired by Meghan Markle this Cinco de Mayo!
Here are the steps to Meghan’s perfect margarita:
- Fill a large mason jar with a handful of cilantro, half a cucumber sliced, a few slices of jalapeño (optional), and a big handful of ice.
- Add the juice of about ten fresh limes, plus a couple lime halves that have been squeezed.
- Add light agave syrup to taste and about four glugs of tequila (Meghan advises that she “prefers Cazadores, and I count it out like a bartender saying “one, two, three, four” until the pour is complete“).
- Put the lid on the mason jar and shake what your mama gave ya until it’s all frothy, well mixed and ice cold.
- Taste, adding more tequila, agave, or lime juice to your liking.
- Rim a couple glasses with sea salt and lime juice, and pour your margaritas.
- Garnish with a sprig of cilantro and enjoy!
And to go with your perfect margarita? A delicious fish taco! Meghan looooooooves tacos, sharing:
My love of tacos runs deep, as in the depths of my soul “deep.” The taco culture of LA is one of the things I miss most when I’m not in my hometown, so when given the chance to recreate those feel good flavors, I jump up on it. It’s important to note that I’m an equal opportunity taco lover – chicken, carne asada, carnitas, fish – they all work for me. My only musts are a corn tortilla (not a fan of their flour counterpart), some fresh salsa, and guac. Because, truth be told, guacamole makes me wanna do a happy dance at any given moment. (But seriously, why is it so good?) I can’t think of a more appropriate day to feast on delicious Mexican food than Cinco de Mayo. Whip up the below and enjoy with a cold beer or perfect margarita.
Meghan’s Fish Tacos are super simple and embrace the bright & clean flavors that really honors each of the ingredients. You’ll need to have the following ingredients ready:
- 1 lb of white fish (Meghan shares that she prefers ling cod or tilapia)
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 2 handfuls of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 limes
- S&P to taste
- corn tortillas
- olive oil
- All the fixins: guac, sour cream, salsa, etc.
And once you’ve got all your ingredients ready, here are Meghan’s steps to grilling up the perfect fish taco.
- Marinate the fish with the juice of two limes, one handful of the cilantro, S&P, and all of the garlic and cumin. Let it rest covers in the fridge for about a half hour.
- Fire up your girl outside, or on the grill pan indoors to medium high heat, and cook the fish approx 3-4 minutes each side until it is flaky and a little brown on the sides.
- Remove to a wooden board or plate and let it rest for a few minutes, squeezing extra lime juice and an additional sprinkle of salt + plus the extra handful of fresh cilantro
- Flake the fish off into scoops for each warm corn tortilla and garnish with salsa, guacamole, and whatever else you love.
So how will you be celebrating the unofficial kickoff to summer? We’d love to hear. Salud!
I might have to try Meghan’s margarita recipe this evening! Thanks for sharing MM!
Defenetly yes!!!! Maybe a little bit travel :-).